Thursday, July 14, 2011

How to win a costume contest for under $10


Where to start?
Look around your house first! There is no need to rush off & buy an $80 costume kit from your nearest Target. (NOT a Target hater! I love Target! Most of my kitchen is from Target). 

Check out the picture below. My best friend and her hubby dressed up as Where’s Waldo & his girl Wanda. Marc borrowed the glasses from yours truly and the only thing they bought were the red tights ($1 @ Dollar Store) & duct tape ($3.99).

 Total Cost: $4.99 (+tax)

They used red shirts that they already had and snow hats. Easy!

FatCats Rexburg is having a costume contest this Thursday/Friday for the Harry Potter premier. So, first thing you gotta ask yourself is, “Who do I look like?” Are you a Harry, Snape or Bellatrix? If you play to win, go with who you look like the most. I would go with Bellatrix for myself.

Creating the costume:
After you’ve gone through your closets and rummaged through friends and family’s garages, where can you find the rest of your outfit?

Where to shop?
Savers! Deseret Industries! Salvation Army! Walmart or Target Clearance rack! There is no need to pay full price for a costume!

Found my clothes, hair and make-up come next! Dollar stores have super cheap make-up—great for dressing up! If you decide to borrow, make sure you ask sister or mom’s permission before you use their eyeliner or lipstick!
Use pictures of your favorite character to help you perfect your look.

$4.99 for my striped pj dress @ Savers & $1.49 @ Rue 21 for my make-up & $0 for my Azkaban Prison number. 


 Total Cost for costume:$6.48                
  

Most importantly, while planning and creating your costume, HAVE FUN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment